Building Permit Checklist
For all building permits:
- Three complete sets of construction plans:
- all building elevations
- all floor plans including attic/bonus spaces
- foundation plans
- cross section
- plans sealed by a licensed Michigan professional if habitable space exceeds 3500 sf
- Site Plan (survey, 3 sets), drawn to an accurate scale (1”:10’, 1”:20’, 1”:30’, 1”:40’, 1”:50’, 1”:60’ or 1”:100’ preferred).
- If not served by public water/sewer, on-site waste disposal system permit and well permit, issued by Kent County Environmental Health Dept.
- For a vacant site, correct address issued by the Kent County Road Commission
- Driveway Permit, if a new or improved driveway access to the public road is proposed.
- Parcel number issued by Kent County Property Mapping and Description
For Commercial and Industrial Permits (4 sets of construction drawings required):
- Fire Chief review
Zoning Compliance Review (for all new construction, except remodels):
- Dimensional standards: legal building lot; lot area and width; length-to-width ratio; front, side and rear setbacks; building height; special setbacks under PUD zoning approval.
- Natural vegetation zone and transition zone (riparian protection standards).
- Compliance with private road standards, incl. permit issued and completion guarantee posted, if required.
- Check for location in 100-year floodplain; Michigan DEQ and Township floodplain permits issued, if required.
- Compliance with Planning Commission/Twp. Board or Zoning Board conditions of approval.
- If located within 500 feet of a river, lake or stream, or if over 1 acre is to be disturbed, a Soil Erosion Control Permit, issued by Kent County Road Commission.
Utility Dept. Review (For all new construction, if located in Water and Sewer District):
For all permits:
- If new water and sewer mains, are they inspected/accepted?
- Water permit issued and fees paid?
- Special assessments paid?
- Sewer permit issued and fees paid?
For residential construction: For commercial and industrial construction:
- Square footage of lot.
- Bldg. floor area (sq. ft.), existing and proposed, broken down by use
- Meter size